There’s no denying that orthodontic treatment is a significant investment, and at Dietrich Orthodontics, we want to help you make the most of it! The best way to have a positive treatment experience is to be an active participant from the start. From the moment you get your braces, there are some simple steps to keep your smile in shape and boost your oral health. Keep reading to learn how to get the most out of your orthodontic treatment.
Brush up on your brushing habits
You can be more prone to dental issues like cavities, tooth decay, and gum disease during orthodontic treatment. These things can interrupt the teeth-straightening process, delay your treatment, and impact your final results. That’s why it’s essential to maintain an excellent oral hygiene routine!
To get the most out of brushing and flossing, follow these guidelines:
- Brush after every meal and snack. If you wear braces, be sure to brush around each part of them.
- If you can’t brush right away, rinse with water to help dislodge any stray food particles.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and fluoridated toothpaste.
- Brush gently at a 45-degree angle toward the gum line, moving the toothbrush across every surface of every tooth to effectively remove bacteria and debris.
- Floss every night before bed to remove bacteria and any food accumulated throughout the day. Use tools like floss threaders and Waterpiks to clean hard-to-reach areas.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months or sooner if you have a cold or other illness.
- Use antimicrobial and fluoride mouthwashes to help further improve your oral health.
Follow your orthodontist’s guidelines
When you get your braces, Dr. Dietrich will give you detailed instructions on how to care for your braces. It’s essential to follow these guidelines to the best of your ability to keep your braces in good condition and get the best results. If elastics are a part of your plan, always wear them as recommended to ensure they function correctly.
We know food restrictions can be a frustrating part of treatment, but we promise it won’t last forever, and it’s for a good reason. Foods that are hard, sticky, or crunchy can damage the wires and brackets of your braces, which can delay your treatment time.
Keep the right tools on hand
Stay prepared for any minor orthodontic emergencies while running around town by creating a care kit to keep with you. Consider packing it with some essential items like:
- a soft-bristled toothbrush
- a small tube of fluoride toothpaste
- dental floss or ortho picks
- orthodontic wax
- extra rubber bands
- lip balm
- a small cup for rinsing with water
- an unsharpened pencil (you can use the eraser end to push stray wires back into place!)
Keep your smile looking and feeling good with Dietrich Orthodontics
We should strive for excellent oral health by maintaining a good dental hygiene routine. But this is especially important for anyone wearing braces! By following the guidelines and tips for taking care of your smile at home we’ve listed above, you’ll get the most out of your treatment while working toward your smile goals.
Do you have any questions or concerns about your orthodontic care? Would you like to learn more about improving your oral health? Get in touch with us today to schedule a FREE consultation or follow-up appointment with Dr. Dietrich and the rest of our talented team. We look forward to seeing your smile!